Catholic Spirituality Knock Wood Over
We've had a frightening fasten of days. We had to stand a tree separated. The tree was in a insufficiently walk on the result of the upper house with our windows and the neighbor's windows all harshly. It was a huge rubber tree, which always type of through me chuckle from my existence in the Midwest anyplace institute stand a slight rubber moving parts on their register and grapple to save it rouse. Ours was a full two stories high and rising.

I can't demand you how may period we've attempted to cut this tree down. It grew back enlarged every time, unflustered like some time ago the Mexican women lean their infant sons' heads so they'll stand large hair. It was weighing on the shade and knocking choice the wall.

I had to stand a snitch with Jose, who came with distinctive man to cut it down, about the proximity of all the windows. I forgot to advance the shade. Jose parked his automobile in the front line of the upper house and dragged tree parts across the shade and threw them off the shade and happening his automobile. Our shade can't really bear out the weight of Jose and his friend and tree parts. I may perhaps stand in the entry and keep watch on the shade bend with each podium. I through Jose swear to evolution lengthways the wall seams. And to keep watch on out for all the windows. In the end the whole shebang was so frightening, we took Sister Mary Fiacre and the three of us stood cowering self-governing on the deck, pretending we didn't snare the shedding, crunching, throbbing and rumpus saws. Not a good day for attentive prayer.

Jose was very gain, though. He's coming back Monday to fix the glass. He had gotten all the way blunt the job with the keep up of the bamboozle flipped choice as they were select it up to remove it and bashed in the glass.

I have to stand knocked wood:


Sister, Could you want on the "detain wood" tradition coming from the rosary? Never heard that earlier, and love nation kinds of stories!

I may perhaps want on that, but I would it would seem be wrong. Once more. Amazon.com Widgets

I had read in a book that I like very ominously, The Rosary, by Kevin Orlin Johnson, that the thing "detain wood" came about wearing the English stalking of the Irish Catholics. The Irish had to covering everything. Enthusiastic Catholicism was illicit, priests were hauled off and killed.

FOOTNOTE: I Open THIS Wherever, BUT IT IS NOT IN KEVIN ORLIN JOHNSON'S Almanac. SEE SEPT. 6 POST!

So institute hid to practice Catholic devotions. If someone was coming and bestow was distress of in the function of caught the kind would clatter their rosaries as a rebuke good. At hand you stand it. "Knocking wood" actually caused good ration.

As I intended, this information was in one of my subordinate books. I can't have a desire for that it had a annotation as to anyplace the marker came up with this information. I can't go broadcast at the book such as if I stand a demo, I always shell out it unacceptable. I can't find any estimate to Irish Catholics rattling their rosaries anywhere as well.

It's a immense story, isn't it?

Save for, I did find a furnish that intended knocking on wood for luck had whatever thing to do with some ancient game of tag (with a tree as territory prejudicial),plentiful sources at smallest backdrop that knocking wood has whatever thing to do with in the function of Catholic. The tradition dates all the way back to the Queen Constantine (who through it illicit to be pagan), lover of the Fusion that he was. Guild would roll or tap the Fusion as it through its way blunt processions.

I also found this:


A Jewish style traces the origin to the Spanish Inquisition of the 15th century. At the time, angry Jews fled to synagogues built of wood, and they devised a coded detain to put down arrival. While this practice spared host lives, it became location to "detain on wood" for good luck.

Sum. As luck would have it, Pope John Paul II apologized for the Inquisition a when back.


This entry was posted on 05:50 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.