What Do You Get Out Of Freemasonry As Far As Spirituality
(A friend of mine asked me this question, and I decided to cross post my answer as a blog post.)

What do you get out of Freemasonry as far as spirituality?

I can't say I really get that much out of Freemasonry spiritually. Or, maybe I do. It's hard to say. For me Freemasonry is my 'church'. It provides the positive things that exist in a regular church without what I would consider any of the bad stuff.

The positive things about a Church include being part of a community, having strong moral principles reinforced, and helping one another.

We have all of that in Freemasonry but without anyone telling me I have to believe any specific thing about God. I don't have to tithe. I don't have to follow any dogma or catechism. No one calls me a sinner. No one tells me I'm going to hell. We strive to be good and moral men not out of a threat of punishment but because it is the right thing to do and is written in our hearts.

We only teach moral lessons in Freemasonry and do not propose any specific definition of God (other than referring to God as 'the creator of the Universe').

For practical purposes I am still more or less an atheist, at least that's what most people would consider me. What I actually am is a pantheist, but I find that many famous members of Freemasonry were deists or pantheist as well so I find myself in good company.

I have a very strong personal sense of morality and I find that the principles in Freemasonry match what I already believe.

I like surrounding myself and socializing with men of strong moral character, men I can trust and men that I am proud to call friends. I also enjoy instilling principles of morality into the youth who are part of our affiliate organizations and watching them become better men and women as they grow into their adult life.

I hope that answer helps.

John



Reference: i-love-witchcraft.blogspot.com


This entry was posted on 06:41 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.